Sunday 2 January 2011

The Testing Turtle

I've decided to create a new post to announce that I've adapted my drawing style a little. I'm doing them larger, hopefully with more detail and a lot more emphasis on shading. I think they look a lot better like this.

Now you're wondering to your self why the hell is this called the 'Testing Turtle'. Well I came about my technique through experiments on this turtle picture.
Note: He's actually a tortoise, he started as a turtle swimming but I couldn't get the flippers right so I removed the water and he looked a little high, so I kinda went with a drugged reptile look.

Then I did a little technique testing, I'll post some of the ones that weren't complete horrific abortions.


I was playing around with circles to create the rather high looking background for this one.


Messing around with the colours. This one actually looks a little scary.

Ahh, now... I like this one. I removed the colour and put down the outline onto a blank page and then used the spray can to heavy handedly apply colour and then pasted another one back on top so that the outline was still clear. I like the effect it had, kind of like a spray-paint stencil.


This one I like as well, even though it looks like it's been drawn by a five year old with shakes. I positioned the original picture next to this as I sketched it roughly (very roughly) with the pencil tool on paint. I like the sketchy look, it looks like something out a concept art book, albeit a concept art book compiled by a toddler. If I had more time/patience, one of these could look quite good.

Sorry for the first post of 2011 being this, I am currently working on another post but I restarted all the drawings to do them in my new style, which I like. I hope you enjoyed laughing at my failures. That's what the Testing Turtle is for, seeing what you're good at and what you're not so good at... 



3 comments:

  1. Nothing like spending some time experimenting with art! I like the new style. I gotta say, I definitely don't have enough patience to SHADE all my drawings. Too much extra effort! lol.

    So kudos for taking the time and effort! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Catherine! :)
    I'm trying more things, I'm new to this whole drawing using paint thing, so I had no clue how to shade, learning by experimentation at the minute :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey there awesome blog here is my link it is called bubblesgirlworld.blogspot.com pleasecheck it out thanks

    ReplyDelete